Crystal Palace v Aston Villa LIVE commentary: Patrick Vieira’s Eagles seek first win of the season against old rival Steven Gerrard August 19, 2022 – Posted in: Soccer
Crystal Palace welcome Aston Villa to Selhurst Park on Saturday as they seek their first Premier League win of the season and it will be live on talkSPORT 2.
The Eagles have had a tough start against Arsenal and Liverpool, but they came away from Anfield with a point and will feel confident about grabbing a result in front of their fans.
Palace have looked dangerous in both of their games, so a win can’t be far away.
Meanwhile, Steven Gerrard’s side bounced back from a shock defeat to Bournemouth on the opening weekend with a 2-1 victory over Everton at Villa Park last time out.
However, marquee signing Diego Carlos ruptured his Achilles tendon in that clash and could now be out for the season.
This could force Villa back into the transfer market, but former Rangers boss Gerrard will have to find a solution for Saturday.
But they won in south London last season and will be eager to do so again.
Crystal Palace v Aston Villa: talkSPORT coverage
This Premier League clash will take place on Saturday, August 20.
Kick-off at Selhurst Park is scheduled for 3pm.
The match is live on talkSPORT 2 with coverage starting at 2pm with Dan Windle.
Commentary will be provided by Ian Danter and former Arsenal man Perry Groves.
To tune in to talkSPORT or talkSPORT 2 through the website, click HERE for the live stream. You can also listen via the talkSPORT app, on DAB digital radio, through your smart speaker and on 1089 or 1053 AM.
Crystal Palace v Aston Villa: Team news
The hosts are likely to still be without Nathan Ferguson, James Tomkins and James McArthur.
However, Michael Olise made his return as a substitute against Liverpool and will be pushing for a start.
Eberechi Eze looked particularly sharp at Anfield, and after an injury-hit season, will hope he can continue in Patrick Vieira’s starting XI.
The away side will definitely be without Carlos, which means the likes of Calum Chambers, Ezri Konsa and Kortney Hause will be looking to replace him.
Jed Steer is also a long-term injury concern for Villa but Philippe Coutinho and Matty Cash will be fine to play despite limping off last weekend.
Crystal Palace v Aston Villa: What has been said?
Crystal Palace boss Patrick Vieira after the 1-1 draw with Liverpool: “We are really happy with a point.
“Overall I think Liverpool had the chances, we had a couple of good ones. But I’m happy with the point.
“Our plan was executed by the players. We didn’t show any kind of frustration. We remained calm and composed and we made it really difficult for them.
“The first 15-20 minutes was a bit challenging with the runs behind our back line but we managed to defend that quite well.”
Crystal Palace v Aston Villa: Match facts
- Crystal Palace have only picked up four points in their last five Premier League matches against Aston Villa (W1 D1 L3), with their one win in this run coming in May 2021 (3-2 at Selhurst Park).
- Following a 2-1 away win at Crystal Palace last season, Aston Villa are looking to win consecutive away league matches against the Eagles for the first time.
- Since their return to the Premier League in 2013, nine of Crystal Palace’s 10 league goals against Aston Villa have been scored in the final 20 minutes of games.
- Aston Villa have lost 16 of their last 22 away Premier League matches in London (W4 D2). They lost five of their six in the capital last season, although the exception was a 2-1 win at Crystal Palace.
- Crystal Palace’s opening day defeat against Arsenal ended a six-game unbeaten Premier League run for the Eagles at Selhurst Park, a run in which they kept five consecutive clean sheets.
- Aston Villa have won six of their 14 Premier League away games under Steven Gerrard (43%), compared to just five of their 15 home games (33%). Indeed, Gerrard has the best away win rate of any permanent Aston Villa manager in the Premier League.
- Since the start of the 2019-20 campaign, Aston Villa striker Danny Ings has scored the first goal in more different Premier League games than any other player (20).
- Wilfried Zaha has scored nine goals in his last 15 Premier League appearances, with his last four goals being worth seven points to Crystal Palace.
- Ollie Watkins has assisted both of Aston Villa’s Premier League goals this season, already matching his assist tally from the whole of last season. Overall, he’s been involved in seven goals in his last 10 league starts for the Villans (4 goals, 3 assists), having a hand in over half of Villa’s goals in these games (7/13).
- After completing 61 passes between each other in their defeat against Arsenal (the most of any pair on MD1), Crystal Palace defenders Joachim Andersen and Marc Guéhi managed just two passes to each other against Liverpool last time out.
Offer Of The Day
New Customers: Bet365 – Bet £10 Get £50 in free bets* – CLAIM HERE
All Customers: Betway: £30 Matched Free Bet if your first Acca loses* – CLAIM HERE
Bet365: Open account offer. Bet £10 & Get £50 in Free Bets for new customers at bet365. Min deposit requirement. Free Bets are paid as Bet Credits and are available for use upon settlement of qualifying bets. Min odds, bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake. Time limits and T&Cs apply 18+ Begambleaware.org
Betway: New UK customers only. Min Deposit: £5. Maximum Free Bet: £30. First bet on a Football or Horse Racing multiple with 3+ selections. Overall odds: 3.00 (2/1) or higher. Free Bets available upon settlement of the qualifying bet. Debit card deposits only. Deposit method restrictions apply. This offer is valid for 7 days from your new account being registered. 18+. BeGambleAware.org. Bet The Responsible Way. Full terms apply.