Antonio Conte offers Tottenham transfer insight as he reveals ‘the club decided to sign Djed Spence’ before he approved deal July 19, 2022 – Posted in: Soccer

Antonio Conte admits Tottenham’s signing of Djed Spence was the idea of the club rather than his own.

Spurs’ busy summer continued as they made their sixth deal of the window, the 21-year-old joining for a fee that could rise to £20million with add-ons.

tottenhamhotspur.com

Spence has the potential to be a superstar at Spurs

But Conte admits the deal wasn’t all his idea

Getty

But Conte admits the deal wasn’t all his idea

He will now compete for the right wing-back position with Matt Doherty, Emerson Royal and Lucas Moura, who Conte is remodelling from his natural winger position.

The Spurs boss said: “Spence is an investment of the club. The club wanted to do it.

“I said ‘OK, this player is young but he showed he can become a good, important player for us’. The club decided to buy him.”

The north London club finally landed Spence, who excelled on loan at Nottingham Forest last season, after months of negotiations with Middlesbrough.

Spence labelled the move ‘a dream come true’ as he prepares to play alongside a number of top players, however, there is one player in Spurs’ ranks he already knows well.

Spence said: “I grew up with Ryan (Sessegnon) at Fulham, through the ranks from Under-12s to Under-16s.


Spurs chairman Daniel Levy, as well as managing director Fabio Paratici, has been very busy this summer

getty images – getty

Spurs chairman Daniel Levy, as well as managing director Fabio Paratici, has been very busy this summer

“We played a Premier League tournament together and won that. He went with the first team at a young age and obviously his career has gone very well so far.

“It’s a privilege to be here. I can’t wait to meet the players, the staff and the manager and just train with everyone and gel with the team.”

It’s not clear if Spurs will make more signings but the focus for the rest of the window now will surely be regarding offloading players.

Tanguy Ndombele, Harry Winks, Giovani Lo Celso and Sergio Reguilon were all left behind from Spurs’ tour of South Korea earlier in July and it’s understood they’ve been told they can leave.

Meanwhile, the futures of Royal, Joe Rodon, Japhet Tanganga, Bryan Gil and Pape Matar Sarr could all be away from the club too, albeit temporarily in some cases.

Source link – talksport.com